This section refers to various local/state sales taxes, VAT, GST, PST, etc. At the bottom of this screen there is a table where you can fill out any tax rates applicable.
Use Tax Table (Instead Of Percent) (1)
Some states and countries have a table that sets taxes from $0 to $1000 at one percentage, then switches to another percentage for another range. If you do not have such a tax system, leave this unchecked. If you do need to make use of this, check this box and fill out the table that appears to the right.
Tax By Area? (Class Field In Cust Record) (2)
Some states or countries have tax by counties or parishes. If you live in such an area and must comply with the reporting, you may want to use this feature. The customer's county is entered in the "Class" field in the customer record.
Calculate Tax By Line Item (3)
This method of calculating tax involves adding the tax to each item loaded individually, instead of just the subtotal. Using this method is usually much more accurate, so it is the only option available by default.
If you are upgrading from a previous version of MicroBiz and you had "Calculate Tax On Total" enabled, it will still be checked. However, if you enable "Calculate Tax By Line Item" you will not be able to switch back to "Tax On Total."
Calculate Tax On Total (Z)
This is the alternative to calculating taxes by each item individually. This option is included for backwards compatibility and should not be used.
Charge Tax2 On Tax1 (4)
Some counties or provinces have a tax that they charge on the total sale PLUS the sales tax. Normally you should leave this unchecked unless it is applicable to your tax laws.
By Default Items Are Taxable For Tax1 (5)
Leaving this option checked will let MicroBiz calculate the "Tax1" tax rate on all items by default. Uncheck this if you don't wish MicroBiz to add this automatically.
By Default Items Are Taxable For Tax2 (6)
Leaving this option checked will let MicroBiz calculate the "Tax2" tax rate on all items by default. Uncheck this if you don't wish MicroBiz to add this automatically.
Tax Rates Table
This table is used to configure the main part of your tax settings.
- Tax1 Noted as: enter the label (name) you would like to use for the Tax1 setting in the Label field. Enter the tax rate in the second field as a decimal (6.25% would be entered as 0.0625).
- Check the Service and/or Parts check box if you would like tax to be calculated for these fields (applies to this and the Tax2 settings).
- Tax2 Noted as: same as the Tax1 settings.
- You can enable Tax1 and/or Tax2 for each item in the Add/Edit Inventory menu.
- Department/Tax3: in the Label field, enter a Department Code to which you would like to charge an additional "tax." Enter the tax rate in the next field.
- To make use of this feature, make sure you have already set up a Department that you would like to use with this "tax."
- This can be done from the Stock tab when editing an item. For more information see Chapter 5 - The Daily Menu.
- Department/Tax4: the same settings as Tax3 apply here, but Tax4 is just another Department tax you can set up.