Just like with LabelWorks, the barcode label printing process is almost the same regardless of whether you use NiceLabel or not. The extra features offered by NiceLabel also about the same as what you would get with LabelWorks, which is to say that you can use virtually any printer that works in Windows, and you can customize your own barcode label formats.
NiceLabel 5 integration requires the Visual FoxPro ODBC libraries to be installed on your PC. These normally come with Windows, but you may need to install them separately.
- You can check your system32 folder for "vfpodbc.dll"
- If you don't have this file, you can search for it at microsoft.com or contact MicroBiz Support for assistance.
Configuring NiceLabel for use with MicroBiz
Once you have NiceLabel 5 or 6, MicroBiz, and your barcode label printer installed on your PC, you can follow these steps in NiceLabel to get it ready to print from MicroBiz:
- Open NiceLabel 5 or 6.
- If you are prompted with the "wizard" you can click Cancel.
- Choose "File" then "Open" and then browse to your Local Files Path (typically C:\BizWin).
- Choose the "nice2d25x1d25.lbl" file and then click Open (Figure 14-26). Select your desired label printer and choose OK, then a label template should appear.
- Click on the Database button at the top of the screen (Figure 14-27). If you are prompted for a username and password, you can leave these blank and just click OK. If you get "Error opening database" you can click OK (this is normal).
- In the new window click Define under Database Connection Properties (Figure 14-28).
- On the left side of the new window, make sure that ODBC Data Sources is selected (under the OLE DB drivers section).
- On the right side of the window, make sure that "Visual FoxPro Tables" is selected as the ODBC Data Source and that "Microsoft Visual # FoxPro Driver" is the ODBC driver, then click on the Configure button (Figure 14-29).
- In the ODBC Visual FoxPro Setup window, the settings should be as follows (Figure 14-30):
- Data Source Name - "Visual FoxPro Tables"
- Description - (blank)
- Database Type - "Free Table directory"
- Path - set this to your Local Files Path (typically C:\BizWin)
- After configuring the ODBC Visual FoxPro Setup window, click OK, then click on the Test Connection button... the message returned should be "Test connection succeeded. (Figure 14-31)"
Click OK on all remaining windows, then save the label (File, then Save), then Exit NiceLabel. You are done!
Configuring MicroBiz for use with NiceLabel
After configuring the label from NiceLabel, follow these steps to finish the integration from MicroBiz:
From the Main Menu, choose Management | Custom System Settings | Print Settings.
- Choose the "NiceLabel" tab from the top, then set options 2 and 4 (the only options you can edit) to the "nice2d25x1.lbl" file found in your Local Files Path (typically C:\BizWin), then click on the Save button.
- From the Main Menu, choose Management | Custom System Settings | Hardware and Printer Settings.
- Choose the "Printers" tab from the top, then select your "Barcode Label Printer Name" and Control Codes (typically "Standard IBM Emulation"), then click on the Save button.
- You can now print labels from the Main Menu by choosing Inventory | Barcode Label Printing | NiceLabel!