Barcode labels, mailing labels and bin labels can all be printed from the MicroBiz system. There are a number of features available to assist you with label printing, and this article will cover everything you need to know on the subject.
There are many options when it comes to setting up your barcode label printing. MicroBiz can either handle all barcode label printing directly, or integrate with a third-party utility that will handle the label printing. The printing process from MicroBiz is identical, but using a separate program for label printing has certain benefits.
At the time of this writing, MicroBiz currently supports integration with LabelWorks 3.0 and NiceLabel 5. The following chart will brief you on some of the differences between these two options:
MicroBiz with LabelWorks/NiceLabel
Prints directly from MicroBiz
Can change data fields
Can change label layout
Can change label size
Can change font size
Can include company logos
Supports wide variety of printers
In order to print barcode labels for an item, the option for "Print Barcode Labels" must be enabled. This option should be enabled by default, and is found under Inventory Add/Edit, Edit, Stock. See Figure 14-3.
Printing Barcode Labels Using MicroBiz Only
This section will provide you with the information needed to setup label printing within MicroBiz without integrating with another application. The first step is to use a supported barcode label printer. The currently supported label printers are available online at www.microbiz.com. The supported label printers at the time of this writing are:
- Cam Stryper z100
- Zebra TLP 2844
- Blaster Advantage BD2
- Blaster Advantage BD4
After installing your printer to Windows, follow these steps to configure barcode label printing in MicroBiz:
- From the Main Menu, choose Management | Custom System Settings | Hardware and Printer Settings | Printers Tab.
- For "Barcode Label Printer Name", choose Browse and select your printer.
- For "Printer Control Code Setup", click on Browse in the lower-right and select "Standard IBM Emulation."
- Click Save at the bottom of Hardware Settings.
There are a couple of places in MicroBiz from which you can print barcode labels. When receiving items into inventory, the system will prompt you to print the desired number of labels per item received (see article Editing/Receiving Purchase Orders for more details).
You can also print barcode labels at any time from the Main Menu by choosing Inventory | Barcode Label Printing, and then selecting the desired method. Many printers will use the "General Bar Code Printer" option.
- Filter numbers 2-8 –This is how you select the item(s) for which to print labels.
- By SKU Number – This option will allow you to choose a single item.
- By Dept. – This option will allow you to choose a single department.
- By Style – This option will allow you to choose a single style.
- By Vendor – This option will allow you to choose a single vendor.
- All Items – This option will select all items.
- Range of SKUs – This option will print all SKUs within the range specified.
- Hardware Setup – This button provides you with a shortcut to configure your printer.
- OK – Uses the selected settings to print barcodes.
- Close – Exits the Barcode Printing window without saving changes.
Once you have set your filters for selecting items, click on the OK button to get to the next screen:
This window (Figure 14-5) gives you one last chance to change your barcode printer by clicking on the "Here" button. The "Number of labels to print" box allows you to enter an exact number per selected item to print, or "Q" to print a label for each selected item in stock.